Student wellbeing is an important consideration for all universities. From exam stress to financial hardship and mental health issues, students can face struggles that specifically relate to their university experience, as well as wider life issues. And UCLan are investing more than any other university across the UK, into providing high level support for all students. The 2020 Student Welfare League Table is designed to evaluate the amount of money higher education institutions put into their student wellbeing services. And UCLan are ranked right at the top.
Reacting to the news, Dr Andrew Ireland, UCLan’s Pro Vice-Chancellor (Students and Teaching), said:
“We are absolutely delighted to be top of the 2020 Student Welfare League Table. At UCLan we take students’ health and wellbeing extremely seriously and seek to provide our students with support in the most meaningful ways possible. Our aim is to create an inspirational student experience, enabling people, irrespective of their backgrounds, to fulfil their potential. Investment in student support services plays a key role in this aspiration.”
How does UCLan take care of student wellbeing?
So, how does UCLan cater for student wellbeing? Well, there are a number of services on offer, including:
- access to trained councillors and mental health advisers
- hardship loans and bursaries for students needing additional financial aid, totaling more than £1 million
- bursaries for student carers, care leavers and estranged students
- a pre-school centre for students with young children to study
- a welcome team to ensure that every new student has all the support they need
- a free late-night bus to all students living in the vicinity of the Preston Campus
- free sports membership for all students
For high quality, stunning student accommodation in central Preston, close to the university campus, get in touch with the team today here at Let Pads. We are Preston’s leading student accommodation providers.