With UCLan’s Freshers week about to begin in just a few days (Sunday 15th September) now is the perfect time to practice your small talk. Freshers week is undoubtedly an exciting week, full of events and people. Lots of people. And you’ll probably find yourself having similar conversations with a whole host of different people during the week. From your new room-mates to strangers in the bar, you’ll probably be answering a lot of the same old questions. So, how can you bring something different to the conversation? And make a great first impression? Well, here at Let Pads, we are UCLan’s leading student accommodation providers. And this is our guide to the top conversation starters to get through Freshers week.
Conversation starters to get through Freshers week
We predict that over the next week, you’ll hear a lot of:
- Where are you from?
- What A-Levels did you do?
- What course are you studying?
- What do you want to do when you leave uni?
And while these aren’t necessarily bad questions, they don’t tell you much about the people you’re talking to. Unless you’re from the same place, or taking the same course, this type of question wont really help you find any common ground. Why not try:
- Are you thinking about joining any societies or clubs? This will give you an idea of the other persons interests or hobbies and hopefully something more interesting for you both to discuss.
- Are you staying in halls? But not in a creepy way! Not every student stays on site. Some might travel in, while others will be staying in other accommodation, which is what we can offer here at Let Pads.
- Have you been to Preston before? This can help you share information about the local area, and maybe even arrange a trip to a local point of interest, for you to all find your feet together.
And when in doubt, why not ask about something you’re interested in, be it music, sports, reading or gaming. Common interests can be a great starting point for any conversation.